While we don't encourage you to eat our products, we believe that if you wouldn't eat it, you shouldn't put it on your skin, which is why every ingredient we use is 100% edible, natural, vegan (aside from beeswax which is necessary in the balm), food-grade and organically sourced where possible. When we say it's edible, we mean these products are super-food for your skin. No chemicals, no preservatives, no added fragrances, just pure oils and butters, organic and fair trade tea, coffee and spices, blended by hand and packaged with love.
We package in BPA-free tins to prevent any leaching of BPA's and other endocrine disrupting chemicals into our perfect little products. For soft, dewy skin and lips - treat yourself with Honest Skincare.
Used in our: butter | balm | serum
It is a good oil for general moisturising and serves as a protective layer, helping to retain the moisture in your skin. It also acts as a mild oil suitable for those with inflamed and irritated skin.
- Moisturising: It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skin, including dry skin. The benefit of coconut oil on the skin is comparable to that of mineral oil. Fortunately, unlike mineral oil, there is no chance of having any adverse side effects on the skin from the application of coconut oil. Coconut oil therefore is a safe solution for preventing dryness and flaking of skin.
- Reduces Effects of Ageing: Coconut oil also helps in preventing premature aging and degenerative diseases due to its well-known antioxidant properties. It also delays the appearance of wrinkles and sagging of skin which normally accompany ageing.
- Reduces Inflammation: Coconut oil helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections.
Sweet Almond Oil
Used in our: butter | balm | serum | scrub | oil
Sweet almond oil is one of the most useful, practical and commonly used oils. It is good for all skin types as a moisturiser and is best known for its ability to soften, soothe and nourish the skin. It is rich in proteins and vitamin D.
- Anti Ageing: Due to its properties as a strong antioxidant, it produces a firming effect on the outmost layer of the skin, revitalises it, keeps it moistened at times and keeps it away from any likely condition of pigmentation or wrinkles.
- Reduces Acne: Due to its deep absorption properties, it opens all pores and lets the skin breath properly. Acne problems are reduced by the application of sweet almond oil if you regularly use it as a skin moisturiser.
- Moisturises and Cleanses: Sweet almond oil is a very effective moisturiser that entails a proper moisturizing to your skin when applied. It is a very effective cleanser as well, which can be used while you remove your make up. Soothes and aids in the repair of cracked chapped lips.
- Reduces Itchiness: Due to its outstanding anti-inflammatory properties, it is highly recommendable to apply sweet almond oil to people suffering from skin diseases like psoriasis. It removes dead skin cells from the epidermis of your skin and evades irritating rashes. A zinc component found in this oil can actually help you to sustain torn and racked skin portions.
- Reduces Dark Circles: The most likable benefit of sweet almond oil, which you can instantly recognise, is its outstanding moisturising properties with a completely non sticky nature. It helps in containing the emergence of dark circles under your eyes.
- Prevents Stretch Marks: It is extremely effective in improving blood circulation in the skin and that keeps your skin free of stretch marks, which you may get if you are pregnant or the condition arise due to a sudden change in the weight. It also helps in reducing the effect of ultraviolet rays.
Used in our: butter | balm | serum
Shea butter is a naturally occurring butter and is extracted from the shea nut. It has protecting and moisturising properties.
- Moisturizing: The concentration of natural vitamins and fatty acids in Shea butter makes it incredibly nourishing and moisturizing for skin. It is often used to remedy dry skin and to help protect the skin's natural oils.
- Reduces Inflammation: A 2010 study found that due to its cinnamic acid and other natural properties, shea butter was anti-inflammatory (source). One compound in particular, lupeol cinnamate, was found to reduce skin inflammation and even potentially help avoid skin mutations. This also makes it beneficial for some people with acne.
- Skin Smoothing: Shea butter aids in the skin's natural collagen production and contains oleic, stearic, palmitic and linolenic acids that protect and nourish the skin to prevent drying. With long term use, many people report skin softening and strengthening as well as wrinkle reduction.
Used in our: cacao vanilla body butter
Derived from pure Heirloom Ecuador Arriba Nacional Cacao beans, this cacao is grown in high-elevation volcanic soil and the beans are carried down from the mountanious regions via donkey back. The Arriba cacao trees are a minimum of 30 years old, and some have been growing for more than 80 years.
The Arriba cacao trees that thes ebeans are sourced from are only nourished with rain water or deep mountain spring water. They are never irrigated from potentially contaminated rivers and streams. The cacao beans are always sun-dried and are never gas dried and remains 100% raw from start to finish.
- This rich butter is composed of essential fatty acids Omega-6 which help your skin and hair to replenish and help you maintain strong bones whilst regulating metabolism.
- It is a plentiful source of Vitamin E making it great for your skin.
Used in our: vanilla chai range
Our highly fragrant vanilla has a rich, bold creamy and complex flavour, with fruity notes & hints of caramel and chocolate.
Organic, Fair Trade Coffee, Black Tea & Green Tea
Infused into sweet almond oil, caffeine is a natural stimulant for the skin, as well as a heavenly scent. Incorporating caffeine in your skincare routine can provide you with even toned and smooth skin.
- Fights Free Radicals: Free radicals are responsible for causing premature skin ageing. This results in the appearance of wrinkles, sun spots and loss of elasticity. The antioxidants contained in caffeine can attack these free radicals and eliminate them. This will improve the overall look of your skin.
- Soothes Inflammation: Caffeine possesses anti-inflammatory properties that make it effective in reducing inflammation and redness in your skin. It is often used as an ingredient in anti-inflammatory creams to enhance their effectiveness. Using caffeine in skincare products can reduce and prevent inflammation and redness and give you beautiful, even skin tone.
- Treatment of Under Eye Dark Circles: Under eye dark circles can be caused by various factors such as dehydration, allergies, lack of sleep or genetics. Caffeine cannot cure hereditary dark circles. Its anti-inflammatory properties make it beneficial in reducing puffiness and inflammation associated with dark circles. Caffeine also reduces the accumulation of blood under your eyes which contributes to dark shadows.
- Reduces Cellulite: Caffeine present in skin care products, such as our scrubs, can dehydrate fatty cells. This results in the water disappearing from the surface of your skin. This minimizes the appearance of cellulite, thus providing you with a smoother skin. Research at the University of Sao Paulo has proven that the application of skin cream containing caffeine reduced the size of cellulite fat cells by 17%.
- Treatment of Rosaceae: Caffeine constricts blood vessels to reduce redness. This makes it an ideal treatment for facial flushing and rosaceae. When applied topically, caffeine works as a diuretic, aids in circulation and is also a powerful antioxidant. Thus, it has the ability to calm irritated and reddened skin caused by sun damage and rosaceae.
- Repairs UV Damage: Studies have indicated that caffeine may also repair the skin damage caused by exposure to UV rays. It is considered a stronger antioxidant than the polyphenols contained in green tea. In fact, it is among the best and strongest antioxidants to combat UV damage.
- Tightens Skin: Another added benefit of caffeine is that its topical use can tighten fine lines and smooth puffy skin. Caffeine used in creams is absorbed by your skin to firm and tighten its appearance.
Used in our: balm
Beeswax is a natural wax produced by individual honey bees of the genus Apis. The wax is formed into "scales" by eight wax-producing glands in the abdominal segments 4 through 7 of worker bees, who discard it in or at the hive. The hive workers collect and use it for comb structural stability, to form cells for honey-storage and larval and pupal comfort and protection within the bee hive.
Our beeswax permeates a lovely sweet honey scent, forms a protective barrier to prevent moisture loss from the skin and is a natural antiseptic.
cold pressed, extra virgin, 100% pure, Origin: NZ
Used in our: serum
Avocado oil is ultra rich and contains high amounts of vitamin A, B1, B2, D and E, as well as amino acids, pantothenic acid, lecithin and other essential fatty acids. It is recommended for those with skin problems, psoriasis and eczema.
Organic Raw Sugar
Used in our: scrub
While we don't recommend you eat a lot of this sweet stuff, it can do wonders for your skin (without overloading the liver!). This sugar cane has been produced without use of herbicides, pesticides or artificial fertilisers to meet IFOAM* standards. The unrefined, raw sugar is made by simply pressing out, cleaning and crystallising the juice from organic sugar cane.
Sugar scrubs are a great way to exfoliate the skin. It gently removes dead skin cells and allow new skin cells to form. Sugar scrubs also help to smooth the complexion by reducing the signs of aging.